Monday, February 02, 2009

Cascading routers ... or is it modems

I bought a wireless router nearly two months ago but I couldn't get it to work. I would have taken it back but I threw the box away. The trouble was I have a cable modem complete with a VOIP Gateway, another modem.

The Linksys directions weren't prepared for that and gave no direction on how to fix the problem.

At wit's end, I found the customer service line - 24 hours. After only a 10 minute wait, I got my operator.

I had hooked it up perfectly but he had to create cascading routers, or modems. And he did this pretty efficiently. While waiting for the computer to catch up, I asked what country he was located it.

When he said the Philippines, I figured we had something that connected us in this big world - bakitwhy.com.

He loved the name and told me that most Pilipinos in LA were nurses. He said he would be sure to check it out.

3 Comments:

At 11:21 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

We should just call you our APOC PR guy! Great stuff :) I've had similar internet connection problems this week, and found myself speaking to a woman in southern India. I told her about couchsurfing.com. I loved how I was speaking to someone in India as though they lived next door.

 
At 10:54 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Haha I completely just remembered that you told me about this! Thanks again for the publicity :-D

It's interesting that he stated that a lot of Filipinos in LA are nurses -- it's a common and sometimes true stereotype. The stereotype is actually widely held by Filipinos in the Philippines, and it's a product of years of oversea worker migration out of the country and a consistently bad economy. Basically, the options for (Philippine) Filipinos are: 1) become a nurse and leave the country, 2) become an engineer and leave the country, 3) be a call center technician. It's a sad matter of survival which hurts the country even more with each generation :(

 
At 1:42 PM , Blogger John Matthews said...

I tried to set up my wireless connection to allow my neighbors to log on with a special password, while blocking others from doing the same. What I ended up doing was locking myself out of my own wireless account for a month. I finally gave up and called someone in India to fix the problem. After I got it back working again I told them they would need to find someone else's internet connection...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home