Monday, January 19, 2009

Web 2.0 – The new Starbucks

Few times during my life have I seen something evolve from the beginning into a great thing.

Algebra, motion pictures, cars, airplanes, computers all were well established before I was going to high school. There were some businesses that caught on that I noticed - I worked at a Subway in 1988. And more times that not, they passed me by. I thought Starbucks reached it's apex in 2000 when "The Simpsons" showed store after store in the mall closing and being taken over by a Starbucks. But here we are and there are more coffee stores than you would ever believe.

That's how I see the Web. It was kind of born in the public consciousness as I graduated college. I watched it grow and grow. And now I see it is much more powerful than Subway and Starbucks - it's enveloping TV, Hollywood, bookstores and on and on.

So it seems we're lucky to be where we're at - even though I often feel like we came late to the game. I see that we are really at the very beginning - Hollywood in the 1930s, Detroit in 1920 - just 10 years after the 2.0 revolution.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 11:19 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I understand that analogy but Starbucks is actually closing stores, while the Web will grow exponentially forever. Worth thinking about.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home