Monday, January 19, 2009

I haven’t seen the mountain top


The Kingdom Day Parade came through my Leimert Park Neighborhood today so I seized the opportunity. I'm in the right place at the right time - history is being made and I'm in the middle of it.


I also found that if I can own things that come to my area it brings a lot of traffic – because if you search the term “leimert” and any word that I’ve featured (such as King Parade) my blog comes up near the top of google.


I grabbed my iphone and my Canon PowerShot SC800 IS Digital Elph camera and video recorder and walked the parade route twice. It’s been three years since I’ve been a reporter and probably that long since I worked that hard on an assignment. Five hours and about five miles.


With the iphone I took scene setting shots that I posted immediately to my community bulletin board/newspaper http://www.leimertparkbeat.com Those automatically post to my Facebook page where I’ve friended many reporters that might be interested in the topics on the blog. And I shot a picture of of a guy selling the day-after-Election day edition of the LA Times for $10 – I sent that to a media blog, LA Observed, that ran it immediately and linked to my site.


With the Canon, I shot the sounds and the sites of the parade – lots of marching bands, City Councilman Bernard Parks – and took higher quality still shots for later posts. I stopped work on the Website to post these blog posts for class. I think I’ll try to send that to LAist. Probably too late.


So the bottom line – this was a day I'll never forget. But a lot of work. But a ton of people will see it. And I just don’t know what’s supposed to come next. I guess that’s why I’m back in school.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home